Friday, May 2, 2014

Blue Chamomile Tunic

Here is a tunic that took nearly 5 years to make: my Blue Chamomile Tunic. I cast-on this beauty in the fall of 2009 as a distraction from completing my graduate school masters project. Needless to say, I had to put this project on the back-burner so that I could finish my masters project and graduate on time. 

I picked up this project again in 2010, after I had graduated, and I completed the waist band and most of the upper bodice before my teeny-tiny yarn (Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud Lace in Tide Pool) started breaking and getting impossibly tangled and I called it quits. 

In the spring of 2013 I was determined to get this thing finished. I invested tons of free-time cutting and untangling my mess of yarn in an attempt to salvage some of it, but eventually I had purchase a new skein. Then I finished knitting up the bodice, sleeves and bottom portion. 

Since I started this sweater when I was fairly new to knitting, I didn't swatch my yarn and as a result my waist band and upper bodice area fit more snugly than some of the other Chamomile tunic's on ravelry, The knitted hem on the bottom kind of annoys me because I can't get it to lay flat. And if you look closely, you'll see a few subtle flaws where the yarn has clumped together and formed knots in itself or where the yarn got thin but didn't tear, forming a small gap in the fabric.






Overall, this was a beast to knit, and I'm glad it's finished (and it looks nice on camera too)! I don't think I'll knit this again because the tiny gauge makes it take forever to knit-up, but if I did decide to do it again I'd make the upper bodice longer and more roomier, add a few more flowers to expand the waist and I'd omit the knitted hem at the bottom. I'd also use a different, more sturdy yarn.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclosure

These posts contain affiliate links which may generate a revenue for the site when a purchase is made. You can read more at my Disclosure Policy page.